Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Backup SQL Server to another server - abnormal termination

I have just changed some SQL Server database backups to back up files
directly to another server (other than where SQL Server resides), and
I'm getting an 'abnormal termination' message. But it looks like the
backups have been completed. I'm able to restore the database from the
backup created and there appears to be no problem. Does anyone know
why the abnormal termination message is appearing? If I'm able to
restore successfully from the backup, is there something else I should
be looking for to verify that the backup really did complete?
Thanks
Here is the checklist:
HowTo: Backup to UNC name using Database Maintenance Wizard
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=555128
Geoff N. Hiten
Senior Database Administrator
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
<innis1@.sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
news:1163024266.615317.129380@.f16g2000cwb.googlegr oups.com...
>I have just changed some SQL Server database backups to back up files
> directly to another server (other than where SQL Server resides), and
> I'm getting an 'abnormal termination' message. But it looks like the
> backups have been completed. I'm able to restore the database from the
> backup created and there appears to be no problem. Does anyone know
> why the abnormal termination message is appearing? If I'm able to
> restore successfully from the backup, is there something else I should
> be looking for to verify that the backup really did complete?
> Thanks
>
|||I've checked out the requirements and all have been met, yet I'm still
getting the message that the backup is failing. The backup files are
created, and I'm able to restore from them, but I'm concerned that
something still isn't happening properly and once a production database
needs to be restored I will have problems.
Geoff N. Hiten wrote:[vbcol=seagreen]
> Here is the checklist:
> HowTo: Backup to UNC name using Database Maintenance Wizard
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=555128
> --
> Geoff N. Hiten
> Senior Database Administrator
> Microsoft SQL Server MVP
>
>
> <innis1@.sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> news:1163024266.615317.129380@.f16g2000cwb.googlegr oups.com...
|||The only other thing I have seen is if you are doing a Backup with verify,
the SQL server can ask for the file to be opened faster than the file server
can close and reopen it. Try removing the verify option (your restore tests
are the only true verification anyway) and see if that helps.
Geoff N. Hiten
Senior Database Administrator
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
<innis1@.sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
news:1163702473.811707.94770@.h54g2000cwb.googlegro ups.com...
> I've checked out the requirements and all have been met, yet I'm still
> getting the message that the backup is failing. The backup files are
> created, and I'm able to restore from them, but I'm concerned that
> something still isn't happening properly and once a production database
> needs to be restored I will have problems.
>
> Geoff N. Hiten wrote:
>
sql

No comments:

Post a Comment