Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Backup Sql database to mapped network drive on another server prob

Until recently (stopped working this week) I have been able to backup my sql
database (on a Windows 2000 server) to a mapped network drive(mapped to
another 2000 server). I am a user on both servers (administrator). I can see
the the drive in explorer. I can access the files.
I cannot see the drive in enterprise manager. Can someone help? Thanks.> I cannot see the drive in enterprise manager. Can someone help? Thanks.
Backup to a network drive must be done with T-SQL Backup command (check it
in Books OnLine). Use UNC names, not mapped drives.
Dejan Sarka, SQL Server MVP
Associate Mentor
www.SolidQualityLearning.com|||I understand that's one way to do it and I appreciate your answer. As I said
earlier, I was backing up to a network drive manually and through the
maintenance. I have been doing this for the last 6 months. Something got
change and I don't know where to start. Any suggestions as to what I can tak
e
a look would be appreciated.
"BarbS" wrote:

> Until recently (stopped working this week) I have been able to backup my s
ql
> database (on a Windows 2000 server) to a mapped network drive(mapped to
> another 2000 server). I am a user on both servers (administrator). I can s
ee
> the the drive in explorer. I can access the files.
> I cannot see the drive in enterprise manager. Can someone help? Thanks.|||It's not just one way to do it , it is the recommended way to do it. What
you see as a user means nothing unless that account is the same one that SQL
Server runs under. It is that account that does the backup regardless of
who initiates it or how they initiate the backup. Mapped drives can easily
get blown away or become unusable when changes are made on either end. So
if you want to continue using a mapped drive (which no one will recommend)
you need to log on to the server (database server) under the account that
sql server is running under and make sure the drive is mapped properly and
it still has the correct permissions to see and write to that share. If not
then the backup can not work properly.
Andrew J. Kelly SQL MVP
"BarbS" <BarbS@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:4FFF5A0E-3592-428D-A732-58378275F3D2@.microsoft.com...[vbcol=seagreen]
>I understand that's one way to do it and I appreciate your answer. As I
>said
> earlier, I was backing up to a network drive manually and through the
> maintenance. I have been doing this for the last 6 months. Something got
> change and I don't know where to start. Any suggestions as to what I can
> take
> a look would be appreciated.
>
> "BarbS" wrote:
>

No comments:

Post a Comment