Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Backup SQL to both TAPE AND DISK

Here's my problem. I want to perform occasional full backups on a tape but I
also want to backup to disk. The disk backup does a full backup every night
and trans log backups every half hour between 7 AM and 7 PM. The tape backup
(Veritas) just performs a full backup every day. Now when I restore, I don't
want my disk backup to "depend" on my tape backup. In other words, I don't
want to see the tape backup in the SQL backup log when I'm trying to
performs a restore from the disk backups. Is there a way to do this?
Thanks
jBA database backup doesn't break the chain of log backups so you are fine. Yo
u can apply any of the
database backups as long as you apply all subsequent log backups in sequence
. But why not skip the
Veritas SQL Server agent and let Veritas pick up the database backup files?
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
http://www.karaszi.com/sqlserver/default.asp
http://www.solidqualitylearning.com/
Blog: http://solidqualitylearning.com/blogs/tibor/
"msnews.microsoft.com" <jbonds@.XXX.com> wrote in message
news:O2XVi3BWGHA.4960@.TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> Here's my problem. I want to perform occasional full backups on a tape but
I also want to backup
> to disk. The disk backup does a full backup every night and trans log back
ups every half hour
> between 7 AM and 7 PM. The tape backup (Veritas) just performs a full back
up every day. Now when I
> restore, I don't want my disk backup to "depend" on my tape backup. In oth
er words, I don't want
> to see the tape backup in the SQL backup log when I'm trying to performs a
restore from the disk
> backups. Is there a way to do this?
> Thanks
> jB
>|||msnews.microsoft.com wrote:
> Here's my problem. I want to perform occasional full backups on a tape but
I
> also want to backup to disk. The disk backup does a full backup every nigh
t
> and trans log backups every half hour between 7 AM and 7 PM. The tape back
up
> (Veritas) just performs a full backup every day. Now when I restore, I don
't
> want my disk backup to "depend" on my tape backup. In other words, I don't
> want to see the tape backup in the SQL backup log when I'm trying to
> performs a restore from the disk backups. Is there a way to do this?
> Thanks
> jB
Unless you are also doing Differential backups, nothing will "depend"
on your full backup to tape.
Why do you care what is in the backup log (I assume you mean the
backupfile table)? If you aren't using Maintenance Plans you can safely
delete from that table anyway so maybe you could just delete stuff you
don't want to see.
David Portas, SQL Server MVP
Whenever possible please post enough code to reproduce your problem.
Including CREATE TABLE and INSERT statements usually helps.
State what version of SQL Server you are using and specify the content
of any error messages.
SQL Server Books Online:
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/library/ms130214(en-US,SQL.90).aspx
--sql

No comments:

Post a Comment