Thursday, March 29, 2012

Backup strategy

Hi,

In my current organisation they are using SQL Server.

They are using TSM (Tivoli Storage Manager) to back up the server on a nightly base.

However I feel that this is not the correct way. Suppose I need some data back, I call technical support and they would restore the server. If another user made some changes to another database that day, he would lose his changes.

Of course they could restore a file but I am not sure if this is correctly. What will happen to the transaction log for example ?

My idea is that they should backup the database using the normal sql backup commando, dump the data to a folder and backup that folder.

Any suggestions please ?

Constantijn Enders

TSM has it's own way of running backups. It even uses the SQL Server APIs to do so. No need to worry about it. When in doubt, test.|||

Great, thanks a lot

CE

|||

Tivoli is a great product, just make sure you understand how to use it properly. Set up a test lab and practice, practice, practice restores.

No comments:

Post a Comment