Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Backup Question

I have set up my server to use the simple recovery model. I understood this
to mean that the Transaction Log is not used. So why is it that my
Transaction Log is still being used and is growing?Simple does not mean that your T log is not used.
It means that your T-Log is truncated each time a transaction is
successfully comitted (i'm not sure about the truncation criteria).
But, unless I missed a point, this does not mean your T-Log is shrunk. You
still have to do it or by a maintenance plan, of by DBCC SHRINKDATASE on a
regular basis,
Chris
"Hoof Hearted" <HoofHearted@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:3FEABB58-6782-4980-8A02-1287A1E8D841@.microsoft.com...
> I have set up my server to use the simple recovery model. I understood
this
> to mean that the Transaction Log is not used. So why is it that my
> Transaction Log is still being used and is growing?|||simple recovery does not mean that your transaction will not be used.
Transaction logs will be used and this is an integral part of databases.
please note that when simple recovery model is set this means that the
in-active portion transaction(ie. commited transactions) are truncated at
every checkpoint(this is dictated by the configuration of your recovery
interval) and over written by new active , or uncommitted transactions. this
however does not mean that the transaction logfile size will reduce,
for example if you ran a procedure which grew your transaction log to 10Gb!
the fact that you have set a recovery model of simple means that as long as
all protions of this transaction log is active the physical log file will
grow to 10Gb!
once the transaction has been completed and committed the percentage use of
the transaction log file will be close to 0% check this with dbcc
sqlperf(logspace)
the file will still remain at 10Gb until you perform a dbcc shrinkfile which
will reduce the size of the physical file (with truncateonly option returns
space acquired back to sqlserver - see BOL for more info)
there is no reason to shrink the logfiles - especially if it will only grow
to it's original size, shrinking it will just put uneccessary IO overhead in
the middle of a transaction (ie. while sql server tries to grow log file to
accomodate the transaction)
HTH
"Hoof Hearted" wrote:
> I have set up my server to use the simple recovery model. I understood this
> to mean that the Transaction Log is not used. So why is it that my
> Transaction Log is still being used and is growing?

No comments:

Post a Comment