Sunday, March 25, 2012

Backup Size - Larger than db size

I have a database which I am backing up nightly ( after a log truncate, dbcc
checkdb ) and the .bak size is a lot larger than the actual database.
I am looking at the table space, and I think it might be the reserved space
also being backed up, I thought that only actual data was backed up.
Any pointers would be appreciated. Any more info require pls let me know.Are you perhaps by mistake doing append to the backup device? You can see wh
at backups are on a
backup device using RESTORE HEADERONLY.
Backup will copy all extents which are in use, so even if only one page are
used on an extent, the
whole extent will be included in the backup.
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
http://www.karaszi.com/sqlserver/default.asp
http://www.solidqualitylearning.com/
"Ben Rum" <bundyrum75@.yahoo.com> wrote in message news:eSbUf.14129$814.11725@.newsfe5-win.ntl
i.net...
>I have a database which I am backing up nightly ( after a log truncate, dbc
c checkdb ) and the .bak
>size is a lot larger than the actual database.
> I am looking at the table space, and I think it might be the reserved spac
e also being backed up,
> I thought that only actual data was backed up.
> Any pointers would be appreciated. Any more info require pls let me know.
>
>

No comments:

Post a Comment