Sunday, March 25, 2012

Backup Shared Server DB using SQL Server 2005 Management Express

Hi,

I want to backup and/or have a local copy of my DB which is on a shared host. I have an ip addreess and user/pwd, but I am at a loss to find any help for the steps to accomplish this in Management express.

Am I using the right tool?

You will have to keep in mind that backup / restore will only either reach local drives or accessible UNC shares. I do my backups using the Copy Database wizard in management Studio, but if you only have SQL Server Express you can only use the SQL Hosting Pusblishing kit to destribute the database to a hoster and not the way back unless you local database is also published to the internet and the remote server is SQL Express.

Jens K. Suessmeyer.

http://www.sqlserver2005.de
|||

Thanks.

So what is the recommended method/product to take a backup of a SQL DB from a shared host that uses a SQL 2005 Server?

|||I would recommend buying a CAL of SQL Server to have the advanced tools for importing data including the copy database wizard.

Jens K. Suessmeyer.

http://www.sqlserver2005.de

No comments:

Post a Comment