Sunday, March 25, 2012

Backup settings for server registrations in SQL Server Enterprise

Dear SQL-Server-Gurus
I have version 8.0 of the SQL Server Enterprise Manager with many server
registrations organized in groups. I would like to backup these settings to
use them on an other computer or to have a copy in case I have to reinstall
my computer.
Is there any way to create a backup of the setings in SQL Server Enterprise
Manager 8.0? Up until now I have not found an INI-File or matching registry
settings by myself. Any input is highly appreciated.
Kind regards
Gabriel
From what I know the information is stored in registry. You can backup(and
later restore) the following registry key:
"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsof t SQL Server\80
Tools\SQLEW\Registered Servers X".
quote:

Warning: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious
problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Use
Registry Editor at your own risk.


Anyway if you use Enterprise Manager on multiple clients you may take a look
at this page:
"Storing SQL Server 7.0 Server Registrations on a Centralized System"
http://www.windowsitpro.com/SQLServe...9750/9750.html
Cristian Lefter, SQL Server MVP
"Gabriel Martin" <GabrielMartin@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:6D500EC5-3352-4CA7-BD99-22DCA99506B6@.microsoft.com...
> Dear SQL-Server-Gurus
> I have version 8.0 of the SQL Server Enterprise Manager with many server
> registrations organized in groups. I would like to backup these settings
> to
> use them on an other computer or to have a copy in case I have to
> reinstall
> my computer.
> Is there any way to create a backup of the setings in SQL Server
> Enterprise
> Manager 8.0? Up until now I have not found an INI-File or matching
> registry
> settings by myself. Any input is highly appreciated.
> Kind regards
> Gabriel
>

No comments:

Post a Comment