Friday, February 24, 2012

Backup MS SQL Server using ASP.NET

Hi!

For the moment I’m hooked up with this hosting company that refuses to give me any backup files of my Microsoft SQL Server database/tables. I’ve even asked if the can do it just once but they still won’t. I don’t know what they are doing because they won’t even let me use Enterprise Manager so, from what I know, can’t use the scripts that I’ve found that use stored procedures.

Which is the easiest way to do a full backup just using the built in functionality of ASP.NET 1.3 and with limited permission on the SQL server? The goal is to move everything to a new company.

A friend recommended this way:

Create a class that holds both the table structure and a dataset for the data.
Each instance of these class is then stored in a collection that we serialize and store on the web server.
When this is done we reverse the process at the new hosting company.

Would this work / be the easiest way?

ThanksYou can take help of SQLDMO in this case, refer http://www.aspfree.com/c/a/VB.NET/Simple-BackupRestore-Utility-With-SQLDMO-Using-VBNET/ and http://codingforums.com/archive/index.php?t-25387.html for information.

HTH|||Thanks!
I've got the same advice on another forum, http://www.sqlteam.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=66036 (remove if it's not ok to link), who also suggested using DMO.|||Hey...I think that was me. :)

How you doing Satya?|||Hi Derrick
Thanks, I'm fine.. hope you had a good holiday as I don't see on the forums since a month (I think).
Its good to catch other forums too ... different from routine :)


How you doing Satya?

No comments:

Post a Comment