Friday, February 24, 2012

Backup ODBC on Windows 2000 Server?

howto backup ODBC configure and data on windows 2000 server help me!
thanks.urr?
Are you wanting to backup SQL Server?
Are you wanting to backup any data that you can find an ODBC driver for (that would be fun)?
Are you wanting to confuse me?|||If you want to backup the ODBC configuration of the server, including its ODBC drivers, DSNs, FSNs, etc, make a full backup of the whole server. Although it is possible to "clone" the ODBC configuration onto a new server, that is not a wise idea.

-PatP|||ODBC configuration is kept in registry which is what you need to back up.|||ODBC configuration is kept in registry which is what you need to back up.Yes, and restoring a registry onto another machine has always been a reciepe for disaster in my book. Even doing selected hives or even keys is dangerous unless the destination machine has EVERYTHING referenced in the source machine!

-PatP|||OK, who pissed Pat off?? Raise your hand!|||Sorry if I sound testy, I certainly didn't mean that. The problem with telling someone that isn't very familiar with the registry to do much of anything with it, is that there is huge risk.

Based on the question, my guess is that they aren't familiar with the even what the registry is, much less how to work on it. If they wipe out a hive (yes, I've seen that done!), they can make a machine unbootable. That's pretty risky stuff, just to save 5 minutes of ODBC setup.

Even if they just have the wrong MDAC or Oracle version, that can make it useless to restore the DSNs from one machine to another. I guess that I've had to fix too many machines where someone was trying to save five minutes and it cost me a day of travel and three hours worth of work.

-PatP

No comments:

Post a Comment