Friday, February 24, 2012

Backup Microsoft SQL 6.0

Hi there

I have a old MS SQL 6.0 Server. I wanted to do a full backup and migrate to MS SQL Express!
My objective for now is to find guides on how to backup MS SQL 6.0. Anyone can enlighten me as I can't find a guide/tips on this area.

MS SQL
Version: 6.0.0.121

Many thanks.

Regards,
makan007

Wow - interesting. To get to SQL Express you need to come from no earlier than 7.0 - upgrade from 7.0 to 9.0 (SQL Server 2005) is the most backward-looking upgrade path that's supported. I discussed how to get to 7.0 with my wife Kimberly Tripp, as it's before my time, and she advises installing 7.0 and then using the migration wizard from 6.0 to 7.0 - if that's supported. One issue you have is that nothing that old is supported at all, so if you run into any issues you'll have a hard time finding support. I know some people in Product Support who were around then - let me know if you hit any problems and I may be able to to get you some limited help.

|||What I meant was I am going to restore my SQL 6.0 data to another server (w/ MS SQL Express). Will there be any issue?
|||

Yes - you can't directly attach/restore a 6.0 database to a 2005 server without first upgrading it to 7.0 as there's a big conversion that has to take place between 6.5 and 7.0.

Thanks

No comments:

Post a Comment