Saturday, February 25, 2012

Backup of Log files

Dear All,
My nightly backups for log files are failing as there are
users still attached to the database being backup up.
What is the best stratergy for dealing with this ?
Do I
1) Make the DB single user ?
2) Have a script to kill all connections
3) Modify my backup plans
4) Some other
Any help here would be greatly appriciated.
PeterHi Peter,
Which version of SQL Server do you use? SQL Server 2000 and 7 (and probably
some earlier versions as well, but I don't have experience with them) allow
database and log backups when there are users connected to the database.
--
Jacco Schalkwijk MCDBA, MCSD, MCSE
Database Administrator
Eurostop Ltd.
"Peter" <nospam@.thisemailaddress.co.uk> wrote in message
news:05ae01c35fe8$90bfb4c0$a101280a@.phx.gbl...
> Dear All,
> My nightly backups for log files are failing as there are
> users still attached to the database being backup up.
> What is the best stratergy for dealing with this ?
> Do I
> 1) Make the DB single user ?
> 2) Have a script to kill all connections
> 3) Modify my backup plans
> 4) Some other
> Any help here would be greatly appriciated.
> Peter|||Hello,
Thanks for both of your replies.
I am using SQL 2000. However the backups I am doing are
part of the database maintence plan backups.
I do know that you can back up log files when people are
connected (I do this every hour with our production
database) but once a week I perform a backup of all our
databases with all sort of integrity checks, re builds of
indexes and so on. Its these back ups the log file back
ups are failing on.
Thanks
Peter
>--Original Message--
>Dear All,
>My nightly backups for log files are failing as there are
>users still attached to the database being backup up.
>What is the best stratergy for dealing with this ?
>Do I
>1) Make the DB single user ?
>2) Have a script to kill all connections
>3) Modify my backup plans
>4) Some other
>Any help here would be greatly appriciated.
>Peter
>.
>|||How do you know that they are failing because users are attached? Where are
you getting these error messages from ?
What is the exact message from the Maintenance plan history ?
--
--
Allan Mitchell (Microsoft SQL Server MVP)
MCSE,MCDBA
www.SQLDTS.com
I support PASS - the definitive, global community
for SQL Server professionals - http://www.sqlpass.org
"Peter" <nospam@.thisemailaddress.co.uk> wrote in message
news:060601c35fee$5e973990$a101280a@.phx.gbl...
> Hello,
> Thanks for both of your replies.
> I am using SQL 2000. However the backups I am doing are
> part of the database maintence plan backups.
> I do know that you can back up log files when people are
> connected (I do this every hour with our production
> database) but once a week I perform a backup of all our
> databases with all sort of integrity checks, re builds of
> indexes and so on. Its these back ups the log file back
> ups are failing on.
> Thanks
> Peter
> >--Original Message--
> >Dear All,
> >
> >My nightly backups for log files are failing as there are
> >users still attached to the database being backup up.
> >
> >What is the best stratergy for dealing with this ?
> >
> >Do I
> >1) Make the DB single user ?
> >2) Have a script to kill all connections
> >3) Modify my backup plans
> >4) Some other
> >
> >Any help here would be greatly appriciated.
> >
> >Peter
> >.
> >

No comments:

Post a Comment